Edited excerpts from this blog post titled ‘Oriya Vs Adivasi – Discrimination of tribal population in Orissa State of India‘ by Kartik Ekka on the Adivasis.com site
The adivasis of Sundergarh districts have been tormented and subjected to all sorts of discrimination by the same people whom they have welcomed openly into their sacred places.
1) The first of the racial discrimination is : In many homes of Oriyas even today the Adivasis are subjected to untouchability and they are discouraged to visit their houses. They are looked down and treated as outcaste. Even today the non-christian tribals who do not practice the sarna dharam are subjected to discrimination and they are discouraged – not prevented – to visit the temples of Oriyas (of coure this is another way of preventing)
4) The Oriyas have refused to recognise the tribal languages as the official language of Orissa, except the language Santhali (ol chicki). Even though most of the tribal languages are written in devnagiri script, instead they have pressed Oriya language maximum to the hilt. Some rogue organisations like the Nila Chakra are quite offensive to the tribal language and are hard core in pressing Oriya language.
5) One can clearly see the difference in ratios of tribals versus non-tribals in industries, which are in Rourkela as well as near Rourkela. Take the case of Rourkela steel plant – the majority of Oriyas have got jobs, nobody knows how. Majority of tribals here work as contract labours. Nobody cares what may happen if any accident happens, no trade union of whatever affliction, do not bother as majority have been dominated by the Oriyas. This trade unions oppose any sort of tribal recruitment in the executive / non-executive posts. Permanent employees also face discrimination in the times of promotion, with the majority of Oriyas getting preferences. This is the case in all sectors .
6) Tribals are discriminated in the times of job recruitment, there are many cases that the oriyas have teared off the list of employments where the tribals get recruitment. They fiercely oppose the tribals who are getting /or about to join their jobs. They even destroy their letter of joining.
7) There is also discrimination going on in schools where the schools are dominated by the Oriya teachers . The students have faced daring statements of “you quota people” or “adivasi students” which is clearly a violation of SC/ST atrocity act, but unfortunately the young students do not understand. The internal marks given to students are enjoyed by certain section of students only, after matric (ssc) many students have opted out of C.H.S.E (board of orissa 10+2) due to discriminatory marks given to students .
8 ) Atrocity cases filed against non tribals are minimum, one has to check the police records to see the truth. Many cases have come of refusal of lodging an F.I.R by the police. Tribals who are jailed stay and hope to get out miraculously as they have no means to fight the cases with no money. The judges, the police mechanisms, administrative officers all are handpicked and brought here to carry out their goals.
9) Planned displacement of Adivasis by Oriyas and pre-planned greater Rourkela development plan to settle Oriyas, plan to deschedule Rourkela and to make it a district, so that the rights of tribals can be suppressed.
10) The tribal lands have been taken by the govt to make and set up industries. How many people (tribals ) have got jobs in this private industries? Not even 5%. Instead the tribals who protest the pollution are severely dealt with by the police, even the childrens are not spared. Pre-planned crackdowns term them as M.C.C sympathisers and put them behind bars.
Read the full post here